View Single Post
Old 09-23-2015, 10:54 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

rachbos,

Okay so to clarify.... the implants were immediately placed after the infected teeth were extracted and both implants failed. The failure indicates that the extraction sites were unhealthy due the longevity of the infection from the root canaled teeth. It is also possible that the bony sockets were not debrided thoroughly of diseased tissue and bone after the teeth were removed. It was also possible that the surgical conditions may not have been ideally sterile. I just want to be clear on those issues so you and others reading this understand the risk of placing dental implants immediately after infected teeth are extracted.

The second dentist debrided the extraction sites and placed bone grafts. Sometimes it is not ideal to place bone grafts in new surgical sites that have had a long standing infection. Sometimes it is best to perform 2 separate surgeries. One to debride the sockets and then about 2 weeks or so later, go in again and place the grafts. This is a judgement call that the dentist has to make at the time.

FYI...... It is also not ideal to have a general dentist, unless he is specifically and extensively trained in oral surgery beyond his general training, to perform the extraction of infected root canaled teeth, surgical debridement or implant placement. Oral surgeons and some periodontists are better equipped, more knowledgeable and experienced in performing those surgeries.

It is common to be very sore and possibly swollen after the surgeries that you have had done. However, by day 7 you should be feeling a bit better. Did the dentist mention anything to you about the sinus being involved with the infection or with the extractions? Does the area throb when you put your head down and forward? That would indicate inflammation into the sinus.

Do you smoke? If so, stop at least until the sites close over with gum tissue. Smoking can prevent complete healing due to the toxicity of the chemicals in the tobacco and smoke.

It is best to avoid exercise for at least 2-3 weeks post op of this type of surgery as you do not want to be raising your heart rate until some healing has taken place. The throbbing that you get when you elevate your heart rate means you should stop what you are doing that is making that happen. Be mindful of keeping your heart rate at a calm steady pace until healing has taken place.

If you are not scheduled for a post operative check appointment, then I would recommend that you call and schedule one for friday. It is always better to have it evaluated to rule out problems before they progress.

I hope this information is helpful to you. Please check in and let us know how you are doing.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachbos44 View Post
The implants both came out. I am going to a regular dentist. However, I did the implants out of town and they failed when I came home so I different dentist who said the same as you that it is not wise to place immediately after you take out the teeth cleaned all the infection out and placed the graft. So I am 7 days out and VERY sore. If I elevate my heart rate at all they throb. Like changing laundry. my gums are super swollen and i just don't know if this is normal or whether I should be calling him to take a look. I am on amoxicillin for one more day

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hopeless (09-23-2015)