View Single Post
Old 09-25-2015, 07:11 AM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Hi and welcome.
The others have given you some great advice, which I will second, and try not to repeat.

Instead, I will address an issue we share, problems with the sense of time. Yes, that is a manifestation of your TBI. In my case, hours and hours could pass, and I'd have no sense of that. I'd get up in the morning and then be surprised to find it was already dark.

In most instances, this goes away with, no pun intended, the passage of time. My awareness is better, now, but not perfect. I have yet to recover my ability to project time. You know, things like when you estimate how long it will take you to get somewhere, to meet someone.

As you're recovering, when you identify deficits (or others point them out, because TBI can induce a lack of self-awareness), you need to find ways to work around them. Don't deny deficits, or beat yourself up, trying to do things the old way. With TBI, the trick is to do what it takes to let you function as smoothly as possible.

In my case, on the time thing, I started to wear a big wristwatch, my family made a point of telling me the hour, several times a day, they would point out how long I'd been doing particular things, they helped me devise a schedule and used egg timers to help me move from one activity to another, etc...

To this day, if I need to project time into the future, my husband has to help me devise the schedule and, then, write it out, so I don't forget. I just can't keep it straight.

I was impressed that you were able to meditate your way out of the panic attack. That puts you in good stead to deal with that issue.

Still, I would suggest seeing a psychologist, who understands TBI, as soon as possible. I'm sure the lawyer, that you should also get ASAP, will recommend that. As well, he/she will tell you to carefully document all of your symptoms, etc... I'm not always sure that that's always best for the psychological wellbeing of TBI patients, but it is essential for the adversarial world of litigation.
Hockey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
lilyNYC (11-04-2015)