View Single Post
Old 09-28-2015, 01:13 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi caroline,

The removable bridge that you have.... is it a nesbit partial appliance? This is a small retainer appliance that has a plastic tooth connected to plastic gum colored clasps that wrap around the adjacent teeth. Or do you have a 3 tooth plastic bridge that fills the space of the missing tooth and the anchor teeth are completely covered with plastic crowns?

A permanently cemented bridge less than 10 years old that just falls out does so for certain reasons. Some of those reasons are... tooth decay underneath the bridge, periodontal disease causing gum recession, bone loss and/or mobility of the teeth, or the cement loses it's adhesiveness due to bacteria getting in underneath the crowns.

Also, just for you information..... dental implants are not implanted into the gums. If they were, they would just fall out. Similar to your hip replacement prosthesis being screwed into your femur bone, dental implants are placed directly into the jaw bone.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline2 View Post
Just talking to a lady about which metal to do for implant. I've never had an implant and HOPE I never have to think about that. Maybe 10 yrs ago a 3 tooth bridge fell out of my mouth. It was a permanent bridge but didn't last a long time I guess.

I had a removable 3 tooth bridge made, and it's wonderful. Matches my gums and teeth and no one but me knows it's there. It anchors onto two teeth and it's been great.

I have a hard time thinking of metal implanted in my gums. Hard enough that I deal with a hip replacement implants, metal and plastic...thank goodness no infections.

I think too it's where one is in their life...younger, in the middle or older. I'm on the older end....and have learned to live simpler in everything.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote