View Single Post
Old 09-29-2015, 05:28 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi33 View Post
Hi coopster

"The strange thing for me is that I can go weeks without a drop, and then for some unknown reason, BANG! I'm on a three week binge."

I can relate to this. I still get urges to drink though far less often than in the early years of being sober. I don't try to analyse the urges; rather I use the "one day at a time" approach.

By that I mean that I say to myself "Tomorrow you can get smashed out of your mind. Not today though. Today you will be sober.".

I repeat that the next day and the next day and the next day..., until the urges fade (which they do).

Maybe something along these lines might work for you too?
I've not had a drop now for 6 days, not much of an achievement I know, but then again I don't really consider myself to be trying. I don't even want a drink. But I know that at some point, some invisible switch in my head will tell me it's OK to go and buy a bottle of red. This would be fine, except that once the red is gone, I'll be out for another bottle. Maybe not the first time, but certainly further down the line, when I have convinced myself that I'm in control. Good on you for your progress so far mate. Keep up the good (if hard) work.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Wiix (10-02-2015)