View Single Post
Old 09-29-2015, 10:15 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Kate,

Oral surgery is not the same as general or restorative dentistry. Oral surgeons have 3-5 additional years of school to perform surgery. General dentists have been taught to perform basic tooth extractions. The removal of wisdom teeth is usually more than basic and it is different for every person.

General dentists are sometimes not as well informed as oral surgeon about post operative complications following the removal of wisdom teeth. So if you do not notice significant improvement after 2 days of the antibiotic, you may consider seeing an oral surgeon to evaluate the situation.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate9989 View Post
Thank you for the reassurance! I'm hoping the antibiotics work.

She is a dentist. A friend recommended the place as he got his wisdoms out there and had no problems. The place seemed really nice and I didn't feel apprehensive at all going in.. Looking back though, I can't believe they didn't tell me things like - "you'll have a big hole in your gum"

I didn't even realize I'd need an oral surgeon instead of a dentist! I thought wisdom teeth extractions were a dentist thing

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote