View Single Post
Old 09-29-2015, 11:36 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default A possible remedy for cramps and fasciculation/twitching

I have stumbled on a treatment for the night leg cramps & fasciculation, low-fat yogurt and a banana with a splash of 2% milk. I've had no night cramps for going on 3 weeks now with the exception of the night I tried no-fat yogurt. So, fat is good!

The dose for my 230 lb. frame is 3 tablespoon-sized dollops of yogurt, a whole banana, and 3-4 oz. of 2% half an hour before bed. I'm good for about 9 hours!

I got the idea from a posting here. A couple of folks mentioned a Calcium-Magnesium-Potassium supplement as helping. Those supplements only have something like 30-20-1 mg, respectively, so I went with real food that had tons more.

Works wonders for me.

For the comparison, I take 10x60mg daily, 2 every 4 hours starting at 9am. So, last does is at midnight-ish with the yogurt (sometimes I add rice crispies & raisins!). I can sleep without a single cramp or twitch/fasciculation for almost 9 hours. However, the twitching starts almost immediately 9 hours after the "dose", but I don't get cramps.

Without the "treatment" I would be awakened each night with severe calf, arch, or thigh cramps around 3 or 4am, about 4 hours after the last dose of pyridostigmine/Mestinon., which is about how long it takes for a dose to wear off, right?

With the treatment, I get enough twitches to awaken me 9 hours after the "treatment." I've tried taking mestinon at the 7am "pee call" to see if that changes the timing of the twitches. It does not.

I'd be interested in hearing if this concoction works for anyone else.

Thanks,
Clarke
gsoClarke is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote