Thread: Trauma to leg
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2015, 01:35 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Trauma to leg

I have searched many forums for neuropathy caused by trauma. In May I had a terrible fall. I broke both shin bones (tibia & fibula). My fibula (the large bone) was sticking out of my leg. After calling 911 & being taken to a trauma equipped hospital, I had surgery. My next hurdle was to find out if it was a compartmental
fracture & to see wether or not they would amputate my leg. I was taken to a rehab facility for the next 3 weeks. While there I always had cold toes, then stiffness & numbness began. The Dr. Put me on 300mg gabapentum, which btw I had no problem with. After I was released I started seeing a neurologists. He did testing (eeg)? I found out I had idiopathic neuropathy. Being that I had nothing but time on my hands to research this drug. At the time I was on oxycodone, 10mg, 10 mg tramadol. I did nothing but sleep. Sometimes 16-18 hrs a day. I was lethargic so much to the point I started weaning myself of the pain meds but stayed on the gabapentum. Now he told me to take 1200 3 times a day. I went back to sleeping & lethargy. I felt terrible, like my head wasn't normal. Having to learn how to walk, I couldn't get anywhere without either a wheelchair or use a walker. The pain in my toes are horrible! I stated rubbling arnica cream & comfrey ointment on my foot. I am desperate for relief. I even purchased nerve capsules that were basically a bunch of B vitamins COQ-10 & R-alpha lipoic acid & other stuff, that cost me 43.00 a month. Like I said I am desperate for anything to relieve this pain. I contacted the Dr. & he is now weaning me off the gabapentum. So I guess is who else has had trauma due to an accident.
Karenbutcher51 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Darlene (10-01-2015), Enna70 (10-01-2015), Lara (09-30-2015), Littlepaw (10-01-2015)