View Single Post
Old 09-30-2015, 09:35 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Alcohol consumption and PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie View Post
Thanks everyone, for the helpful tips and the camaraderie.
Augie,

Alcohol Peripheral Neuropathy is a disease or disorder (I personally think the application of the definition as a disease is way overused) systematically destroys the Peripheral nervous system beginning at the outermost of the extremities.(usually the feet well before the hands) A damaged nerve is a dead nerve. They are incapable of healing or regenerating, thus even the hint of the term "cure" is a misnomer.

Depending however on the extent of damage to the total system, the body's, capability to PRODUCE NEW COLLATERAL circuits to replace those permanently lost, is solely for the most part the determinant of the eventual outcome. Any, and I repeat ANY consumption of alcohol--even one or two glasses of wine will aggravate the condition in whatever phase it has attained, along with the attendant pains and discomforts so associated. It will also constitute a degree of toxic hindrance to the manufacture of new networks.

Translate that: NO ALCOHOL!

Believe me when I confess the hours I have spent poring over the most technical clinical studies solely in the quest of finding meat for a compelling argument on the benefits of measured "medicinal" doses of red wine as among other boons, a natural source of valuable antioxidents, etc., sadly all to no avail.

As there exists no documentation of neuropathy fatality,(death by cirrosis or brain dementia far more likely) one could possibly look forward to a long life feeling this lousy and debilitated with continued degeneration to quality of life. After 50 years of steady drinking--started when I was 16 and am now 66, I took a not so long look at the options available and found it not hard to realize that my thirst was finally quenched. I'd had the last alcohol of my life about 6 months ago.

There is still no strength in my feet, ankles, achilles, legs, arms, and upper body. That accompanies the continued loss of balance, muscle loss, inability to climb stairs without a railing, some lingering numbness in my feet, legs and hypersensitivity in my fingertips. All of these are at least 200% less severe than 6 months ago--so needless to say I'm not standing by the stove waiting for the pot to boil. At least I've stopped adding to the problem that I alone created.

May I conclude this filibuster with: BEST OF LUCK TO ALL OF US!

Sarge
Sarge is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote