View Single Post
Old 10-03-2015, 12:06 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

i've had rsd for almost five years and have had dental problems for almost five years too. i first thought it was the meds causing the dry mouth which caused my teeth to crumble and hurt. but meds don't cause massive infections in the gums and roots of the teeth almost overnight.

my pm dr believes that rsd can spread to the mouth and that it can cause infections because of our weakened immune systems due to rsd. he also believes that dentists who want to try to "save" the teeth just make things worse by putting us through painful and expensive root canals that don't help.

i still had pain in the five teeth i've had root canals in because rsd makes the nerves in our mouth hypersensitive to pain just like it does to the rest of our body, which make root canals unsuccessful. the only thing that helped to alleviate my dental pain was to have my teeth pulled. some drs don't want to do this because they think having the teeth pulled will cause rsd to spread. but in my case it was the root canals that caused the spread.

i'm not a dr but if i were you i would ask your pm dr if he will write you a referral to a dentist and oral surgeon who will do whatever it takes to alleviate your dental pain. a note from your pm dr saying it's okay to pull teeth (if that's what you want) then to do root canals because root canals can cause spread and are painful and expensive and at least for do not work.

but since everyone is different with rsd, you have to decide what is best for you. my oral surgeon said she had another rsd patient who had the same problem so i'm convinced rsd can spread to the mouth.

i chew on one side of my mouth where there are more teeth too because it hurts to chew on "just gums". and i can't get dental implants because that could cause a chance of more rsd spread. i don't want to take the chance but it's a personal decision.

whatever you decide to do with your teeth, just make sure you don't allow any dr to tell you the pain is all in your head. because some may think that and they are wrong. a good dr like my pm dr knows they are wrong. and i know they are wrong because i am the one still feeling the pain.

i hope you don't have anymore dental problems and that you will be able to feel less pain in your mouth.
sending healing thoughts and soft hugs your way.

p.s. if you do have to have a dental work done, i've found that having lots of novacaine along with lots of laughing gas helps minimize the pain during your dental procedure. of course make sure the dr agrees. it helps to minimize my dental pain more when i'm having a cavity filled, etc.

p.s.s. rsd can also cause bone loss in other areas of the body. i have had bone loss in my hips and now have osteopnia. and my original rsd hand has atrophed a bit and has had bone loss. it is acually smaller then my other hand now. i get a bone density test every year to check for bone loss. if you do have bone loss taking certain vitamins like vitamin D can help.
"Thanks for this!" says:
BioBased (10-03-2015), Enna70 (10-03-2015), Littlepaw (10-15-2015), PurpleFoot721 (10-03-2015)