View Single Post
Old 06-27-2007, 08:35 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default 504 Plan

Hi Judy,

Sounds like our girls could be sisters! My daughter just turned 14 and has been on this path since she was 8. Schooling has been an issue the past three years as she has missed most of them! I know you said she is at the University already, but for any other moms, there are options for teachers to come into your home and do the shuttling of papers and lessons. It does really take some of the stress away. From your post, I am not sure you are in the United States but for other moms that are,

Here is the other option that is available. There is a federal law that includes something called a 504 plan. This is generally, not always, an academic based plan that spells out exactly what modifications and options are available for a student. This plan can, although I haven't had to do this yet, transfer to a work environment for a student. This is a tricky plan, in that not many people have them and can be difficult for schools to accommodate, simply because they are rare and need to do some research to figure it out. All schools are aware that this is an option. Generally, a doctor needs to state that the child requires modifications due to a disability. Our dr and school have been more than accommodating. I would start with the special education office (NOTE: unless there are other reasons, and IEP from special ed is NOT needed), they just might be the place to ask who handles the 504 plans. Often, it is the guidance area, but in some districts, special ed may. School nurses are often involved as well. This will also give you a case manager at school who is responsible to see that the plan is carried out. We created a three tier plan for my daughter this year--one tier, at school and life is good, second tier, part days at school, third tier-reentering school after time off. The time at home is served through 'homebound' education where a dr says the child is unable to be in school and our district provides a teacher at home (usually twice a week, for an hour for us.)

Okay, so long background info, but here is where it may help with the university, they need to accept 504 plans and accommodate the student. I am not sure if they create them though. I would go to the disabilities department, and they must have one, and bring in literature, a drs note explaining the situation, her transcripts and say, what can you do for us for her to receive an education? They must make accommodations and sometimes that is thinking outside the box, hard to do sometimes. Independent study, online course alternatives etc might work. If they don't have an online class, maybe another university does that would meet their syllabus requirements and your daughter can take it and transfer in credits. If it is a state university or publicly funded, there have to be options in place for this.

And as far as how long it will take her--I was healthy and it took WAY TOO LONG to get through school!