View Single Post
Old 10-05-2015, 12:21 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Amit,

I am back. The drug class that excretes excess sugar in urine is called "selective sodium-glucose transporter inhibitors, (SGLT-2). Three drugs in this class are Jardiance, Farxiga, and Invokana. Studies show that these drugs have a cardiovascular benefit.

I am including some additional information that you find helpful.

Below is a list of the classes or types of diabetes medicines. Each class has its own side-effects.

Biguanides
Sulfonylureas
Meglitinide derivatives
Alpha-glucosidase inhibitors
Thiazolidinediones (TZDs)
Glucagonlike peptide–1 (GLP-1) agonists
Dipeptidyl peptidase IV (DPP-4) Inhibitors
Selective sodium-glucose transporter-2 (SGLT-2) inhibitors
Insulins
Amylinomimetics
Bile acid sequestrants
Dopamine agonists

Below is some information about the DPP 4 class of drugs. (Copied from the internet.)

Facts about Dipeptidyl Peptidase-4 (DPP-4) Inhibitors
DPP-4 inhibitors are a class of prescription medicines that are used with diet and exercise to control high blood sugar in adults with type 2 diabetes.
Medicines in the DPP-4 inhibitor class include sitagliptin, saxagliptin, linagliptin, and alogliptin. They are available as single-ingredient products and in combination with other diabetes medicines such as metformin (see Table 1 in the Safety Announcement section for a complete list of FDA-approved DPP-4 inhibitors).
DPP-4 inhibitors lower blood sugar by helping the body increase the level of the hormone insulin after meals. Insulin helps move sugar from the blood into the tissues so the body can use the sugar to produce energy and keep blood sugar levels stable.
In addition to severe joint pain, other possible side effects of DPP-4 inhibitors include inflammation of the pancreas, low blood sugar when this class of medicines is combined with other prescription medicines used to treat diabetes, and allergic reactions

Table 1. List of FDA-approved DPP-4 inhibitors
Brand name Active ingredient(s)
Januvia sitagliptin
Janumet sitagliptin and metformin
Janumet XR sitagliptin and metformin extended release
Onglyza saxagliptin
Kombiglyze XR saxagliptin and metformin extended release
Tradjenta linagliptin
Glyxambi linagliptin and empagliflozin
Jentadueto linagliptin and metformin
Nesina alogliptin
Kazano alogliptin and metformin
Oseni alogliptin and pioglitazone

Below is a link regarding the newer class.

http://www.latimes.com/science/scien...917-story.html

What drug to take is a matter for discussion between physician and patient.

I have my preferences and my reluctances and voice them with my physician. Thankfully, we work as a team, and TOGETHER, decide which is best for ME.

If we can offer any additional information or help, just let us know.
Hopeless is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote