View Single Post
Old 10-06-2015, 07:19 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin76 View Post
Have folks with confirmed skin biopsy sfn ever seen their results? My neuro was pretty aloof when he reported the results to me as if there was either some damage or their wasn't. When I finally got the results months later, the results are astonishingly low. Showed in the calf I had 2.6 nerve fibers per mm and in the thigh I had 1.6. I think reference value is 5 and 8 respectively. I did this test in April. I wonder if there is any value in retesting to gauge if there is some regeneration or it is about the same. Have others looked at their results and/or done repeat biopsies?
That is basically how my neuro reacted. (my results are below in my signature). He told me i have SFN but very slight, if at all. I was like so why am I in excruciating pain? They just look at you and start to write the script usually.

There is a point in which you can have repeat biopsies done. It all depends upon what insurance will allow. Usually they don't recommend doing one unless you feel like you are experiencing a lessening of symptoms.

I personally think the skin biopsy is a good test to tell if you have SFN but it doesn't really tell you if the SFN is isolated to certain areas or universal. ALso, the thigh sample is often not as good a specimen as the ankle sample because it has more fatty tissue and is harder to get a good punch of.

• R-Lipoic Acid: 100mg - 300mg Daily
• Acetyl-L Carnitine: 1500mg Daily
• Vitamin B12: 1000 mcg Daily
• Magnesium 500mg Daily
• Grape Seed Extract 200mg Daily
• Benfotiamine 300mg daily

Patrick Winter is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
St George 2013 (10-06-2015)