View Single Post
Old 10-07-2015, 06:32 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
I just saw a commercial for the MS drug Tecfidera. It was actually sort of comical the way the pharmaceutical company that makes the drug portrayed MS and what it's like to have the disease.

It started with a young woman, who was walking unassisted, getting ready to go swimming. She walks (quite well) out onto the diving board. No unsteadiness, no wobbly gait. No apparent vision issues. She just seemed fine and happy to be active.

And we wonder why people are confused about MS?? If they compared me and my MS to the actress who was portraying someone with MS I would look like an invalid! There is NO comparison.

I understand that those in the early stages are sometimes symptom free......but 9 times out of 10 they don't even know they have the disease. It's usually when symptoms get bad enough and are consistently disruptive to your lifestyle that you go to the doctor and the fun begins. I do not know one person who is asymptomatic that has a diagnosis of MS and is on one of the "big guns" MS meds.

I just wish the pharmaceutical companies would be honest in their portrayal of MS.
Hi Kitty,

I just saw the ad on TV last night of which you speak, before seeing this thread. I do not have MS so I am not sure I should be posting a response.

BUT, from someone that is not afflicted with MS, has little and no understanding of the condition, I still have to agree with you that the ad does not indicate adequately, the problems one encounters with having this condition. Whether it be relapsing or progressive, it made it appear that their drug would make everything all better and symptom free at all times.

The ONLY positive about the ad is it does bring MS to the attention of the general public. A better portrayal of the symptoms and suffering would be appreciated.

If the ad makes just one person more empathetic to the life of a MS person, at least that is something positive.

Thanks for the thread.
Hopeless is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (10-08-2015), SallyC (10-08-2015), Snoopy (10-08-2015)