View Single Post
Old 10-08-2015, 06:08 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by en bloc View Post
I have never heard of thyroid medications causing PN/SFN, but I have heard numerous people on the Sjogren's forum say that hypothyroidism itself can cause neuropathy. So have you considered that it is the condition, not the treatment, that may be your problem? This might be a good question for your next appointment with the rheumatologist or neurologist.

I'm not sure about your plan to just stop your medication for a week or so. I am NOT well educated on thyroid issues, but know there is something called a thyroid storm when levels get out of whack. But it could be when levels get too high, not too low. Either way, you should do some research about stopping (suddenly) first, for the best results.

I would also think that logically it would take much longer than a week or so to know if it will help. If you have nerve damage, then it could/would take months or more for nerves to heal and pain to go away. Just a thought.
Thanks Enbloc. Sorry I'm moving around Scotland just now and having great difficulty logging in.

As usual your brand of wisdom has stopped me in my tracks - and what others here say supports the idea that it's my thyroid disease that may be the problem rather than the drugs. Unfortunately my old GPs were not receptive to the idea that this parasthesia has anything to do with my thyroid problems, which the feel are adequately controlled presently. I haven't the energy to keep fighting doctors about this and not do I want to self medicate so it's a question of working things out for myself a lot of the time and then trying to negotiate. Many thanks, Mat

Sjögren’s, Hashimoto’s and Systemic Sclerosis with Raynaud’s, Erythromelagia and small fibre polyneuropathy, GI problems top to tail, degenerative disc disease and possible additional autoimmune diseases
MAT52 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote