View Single Post
Old 10-09-2015, 01:48 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newstown View Post
I will ask my Doc about amitriptyline. I sorta have the same opinion your doc has, Wide-O, from reading comments about all these drugs. (lyrica,etc). Their effectiveness sure seems spotty , at best.
There's loads of information in the PN section, but IIRC there even was a law suit that determined Lyrica could not be sold officially for PN. Also, it never worked better than placebo.

Quote:
A couple of them apparently cause a lot of weight gain, the last thing I need.
Can be the case for amitriptyline as well, but not for everyone, and I didn't notice it in the short time I took it a few years ago.

Quote:
I took amitriptyline (brand name Elavil) for depression many years staring in the late '70s. It worked well for that, but I replaced it with prozac when it came out.
Yeah, Elavil (over here mostly Redomex) is now "old school" indeed, but as I'm suffering a mild depression right now it seemed like a very good choice. So far it surely does seem to take the edge off, but it doesn't work as well as tramadol (yet?). Still, I need to build up the amitriptyline and phase out the tramadol for a while before I can really comment. That way I can take a rest from tramadol and restart it with more effect.

Quote:
at least in my case, very well tolerated. It made me a biz drowsy so I just took it at night.
Exactly the same here. I tried it in 2013 for about 8 weeks, but at the same time I had started my diet and suddenly felt a lot better even before building up the Elavil (easier to type... ) so I quickly went off it again with the consent of the rheumatologist. But this time I hope it does the double function (pain/depression).

Drowsy for sure, but that may go away. (tramadol knocked me out at first, now I hardly feel it) I have a long working version for bedtime (25mg) and a faster/shorter acting 10mg version. Doc told me to play with that to keep the pain in check, but not go beyond 80mg as that wouldn't be effective for PN anymore (max daily dose is 150mg).

BTW, just found the receipt: $1.60 for both 25mg and 10mg together.