View Single Post
Old 10-09-2015, 05:11 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okone1 View Post
Lyrica is certainly the choice of my nuerologist. I am on 450 mg / day which is a lot. I went down to 300 to see what would happen and could hardly walk. However, I have complained that after 2 years sober I don't feel like it's any better so maybe it's time to have a talk with my doctor. Especially after what I see here.

I am also curious if anyone uses opioids like hydrocodone, oxycodone, etc given our history with alcohol abuse? I was told it could trigger something and make you more susceptible to a relapse. I don't know, all I know is I hurt, a lot. I also have back issues separate from PN that requires physical therapy weekly. I have associated pain with alcohol and that is a huge deterrent for me.

BTW, lyrics does make you hungry. You can eat and never feel full. It's been a struggle with lack of exercise and medication side effects to not gain weight. Weight gain is the last thing my feet need!
I take Tramadol, Okone1, not really a true opioid, some call it a synthetic narcotic. There is some disagreement about what it actually is and how addictive , but I wouldn't hesitate trying it. It makes me moody (as you might have read in another post) and I would prefer not to use it. Abusing it is the farthest thing from my mind. But it does provide relief. ...further, I am sick of this stuff as well, I am ready to try some meds, just don't know what. I wish abstinence worked better. Sometimes you will see posts to the effect "most people who suffer from alcohol related neuropathy recover", I would sure like to believe that, but I have my doubts. There is the 1984 study , a very small one, that shows 7 of 10 former drinkers recovered to normal or near normal nerve conduction scores etc when tested. I have never found that study replicated, but I have found studies that failed to find any improvement at all. Other times, of course, we see people post on here and elsewhere that they personally recovered from the symptoms. So, as some scientist put it, "results are highly variable and new treatments are sorely needed." ..Amen.
"Thanks for this!" says:
coopster (10-10-2015)