View Single Post
Old 10-11-2015, 12:18 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyD View Post
Hi guys

I'm new to the forum but relieved to have found it! My father was diagnosed with Parkinsons disease in 2010. He started taking levopdopa/carbadopa around that time.

He is currently on levodopa/ carbodopa 100/25, 2-3 times a day. He also takes supplements prescribed to him by a 'Holistic' GP namely mucuna pruriens extract, bacopa monnieri extract (or brahmi) magnesium, fish oil and coenzyme Q10.

Two weeks ago whilst i was away on holidays his neruologist requested he have an MRI for a suspected pinched nerve in his back. My father was unable to stay still for the MRI and so it didn't work. He returned to the neurologist who told my dad to stop taking his levodopa for 48 hours before the scan and try again. He apparently also stated he had my dad on a too higher dose in any case. So my dad stopped taking his medication and became very ill, in a lot of pain as he could not stop shaking to the point that his partner ended up taking him to ED. The neurologist there told him to start taking his medication again, which he has done though he stopped taking his mucuna supplement. I arrived home yesterday and was shocked to find him seemingly frail and shaky, he says he feels as though he's 'not switched on'. He has resumed his normal dose of levodopa (2-3 tablets a day). One positive is he has stopped doing this strange hip movement and movement of his left hand which he puts down to stopping his mucuna supp. so he perhaps was on a 'too higher dose of dopamine' as the neurologist suggested.
My concern is he has gone off the supplement and still taking the same dose of medication which we all know has its own issues.
My other concern is that he wont return to his previous state following this shock and remain in his 'not feeling switched on' state.
After reading this forum i can't believe a neurologist would suggest he go cold turkey off his medication?? He has an appointment with a new neurologist in December as it's the closest time we could get.
I would appreciate anyones thoughts on the matter.
Kind regards
Hi Sydney,
Going off meds for an m.r.i isn't unusual.
Only thing is it is usually done for just a few hrs so that you don't suffer too much by being off for too long and also in case the pwp having scan or m.r.i. gets dyskinesic and therefore can't lie still.
In your Dads case it isn't so cut and dried if he takes mucuna as well as being
prescribed levodopa by a neurologist.
He might be able to cope without tremors present is another reason the above approach i suggest might work if he still wants an m.r.i.
Best wishes.
made it up is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote