Old 10-11-2015, 07:42 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
Whatever happened to good old prune juice? From growing up from the 1950s through the 1970s, it was: constipation?--immediately reach for the miracle remedy of all miracles. Two glasses and in ten minutes you're at a dead run(s). I don't even hear it mentioned anymore.
People still use prune juice. But I have seen it fail for many. The virgin olive oil doesn't work for everyone either, but it sure works for me. I can't use olive oil in cooking!

The people here on our other forums who use opioids in high doses have a paste they use sometimes, made from dates, raisins and prunes.

For a while I collected old pharmaceutical remedies, vintage age. 1900's and before. I am going to do watercolors incorporating remedies so I needed some reference material.

By far while searching Ebay, I discovered just how common laxative remedies were in the 1800's and early 1900's. Just about every "cold" product had a laxative in it. From my experience it seems like almost all remedies in the past, had a laxative added to them. Back then they were called purgatives.
Historically doctors mostly bled patients or used purgatives for just about everything.

When I don't buy an offer, I save its photo digitally and here is one that illustrates my point:
Black Crow Pills:

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 02-20-2016 at 09:37 PM.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (10-11-2015), Nervous (10-11-2015)