Thread: Train ride
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2015, 07:46 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default ID Proving Handicap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanne C. View Post
My understanding is that they do not have the right to ask for paperwork, that your word is all that is necessary.
I have both handicapped parking plate and tag, which required paperwork. My doctor insisted I get them several years ago, as well as a wheelchair to save walking through parking lots at stadiums, museums, airports, anything that requires a long walk and standing. I did ask him to write a letter stating that I was permantly disabled for the national park access pass, but they have never asked to see it. I was told they aren't allowed to ask for proof. I actually begged the ranger at Zion to look at it just so I hadn't wasted my doctor's time. I do not think the airport personnel are allowed to ask for proof either, so I don't see how a train conductor would.
It does take a thick skin to demand these rights, particularly if you aren't in a wheelchair. Fortunately my husband has one, so he does the talking and I just sit and look slightly addled which is very easy for me.
I hope it wasn't a long ride. I know you, like me , are very tall. I have given up going to certain venues because of my knees being bent at an excruciating angle in the effort to cram as many seats as possible, the Comcast Center in Philly being my chief nemesis. We may explore their handicapped seating next time TSO comes to town.
In my state, the DMV issues the parking placards with accompanying ID card similar to your drivers license w/o photo, but bearing in bold print the same number/letter combination as appears on the placard which is only being used legally if the individual to whom it was issued is with the vehicle at the time, ID in his/her possession. Failing that, the said vehicle is using the Handicapped spot illegally, and subject to all fines & penalties indicated on the signage. I confess that I encourage officers to request IDs to ensure that (and how many times have all of us seen this?) the driver isn't using spouses placard for mere selfish convenience, getting out of the car and jogging to destination.

I live 10 minutes down the road from the boardwalk/ocean in a very popular shore destination town. Now the state law give the individual municipalities discretion whether to allow free public parking to any vehicle displaying a placard, but Hell would freeze over solid before the afore-alluded to, town, nor any other up and down the coast would even remotely consider giving up one penny of the exorbitant parking fees they exact, whether from a permanent year round resident or day visitor. However several towns I do business in extend that particular courtesy so the placard and ID is always in whichever vehicle we happening to be using.

Also trains and planes transverse boundaries having variously differing laws, so one proceeds precariously when asserting an "imaginary" right not to present ID to anyone requesting, who happens to be displaying a badge or such, accompanied by an obvious air of self-importance (probably the kid who always got wedgied in school)unless you enjoy wasting a lot of breath and blood pressure. It's simply not worth it.
Sarge is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote