View Single Post
Old 10-11-2015, 11:23 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Update on my Welcome Post

There is NO WAY I could have about 1/2 of my brain missing. NO WAY!! Or so I thought. It occurred to me that I should have a consult with the Radiology doctor who was in charge of my MRI here locally. I had heard that he had a terrific reputation so I went to see him last week.

In our consult, I started by saying I've seen 4 neurologists with 4 ideas of what my MRI could mean. 1) Hydrocephalus along with the cord wrapped around my neck and premature (one month) birth, which could have caused the slight Cerebral Palsy and damage to my optic nerve....I can't drive because of it. 2) Chronic space between my ventricles....possible Hydrocephalus. 3) Possible small stroke about 3 years ago, but since I have gaps in my brain....this doc did not explain this....I may be getting into the reserve part of my brain but because of problems at birth, I have NO reserve which is why I'm having trouble now. and 4) the missing parts of my brain because of a stroke in the womb causing possible Hydrocephalus and chunks missing because of early stroke.

His thoughts? ALL FOUR! Suggested that I might want to go to a big city hospital to see what they say. I have decided to sit on it for a while. If it gets worse, I'll go. The only treatment that I know of for Hydrocephalus is inserting a shunt to drain the fluid. The thing is, I've heard that these shunts are no end of trouble and cause headaches, can become dislodged and become infected. NO THANK YOU! The side affects sound worse than living with it.

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of a shunt?

So that's where I'm at now. I will be seeing my Neurologist who showed me a picture of my half a brain in two weeks. Now if I could just get some relief from the horrible stiffness in my lower most back and spastic legs with weakness. I'm about to consider transitioning to a wheelchair.
Valleydachs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
St George 2013 (10-11-2015)