View Single Post
Old 10-12-2015, 12:14 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Well, I'll take the question back a little further, and say what I wished I'd known from the time of my accident:

1.) Even if you go to the ER, they may have no protocol to test for TBI or to tell you/your caregiver to be watchful for signs or symptoms. I got handouts about my whiplash and shoulder pain, but nothing about possible concussion.

2.) Doctors -- no, the entire medical community -- have very different levels of knowledge regarding TBI. I understand that they all can't keep up with every study and journal article out there, but it's angering to realize that many of them keep repeating the same old statements (like the "It will be better in 3 months/6 months/a year" "The majority of people with head injuries go back to normal in a few weeks" etc) LONG after evidence-based studies have shown that there isn't really a definitive basis for these statements.

3.) Research on TBI is very sadly lacking. And if you consider that the main drivers in the last couple of years have been the massive numbers of vets with TBIs and NFL players 'coming out' regarding their own injuries, it's clear we wouldn't even know this much.

4.) "Powering through" and "life as usual" are not good plans immediately following the discovery of a concussion. Rest, cutting back (at least) on job tasks or school work, evaluation of diet, hormones, inflammation, and getting positive support from friends and family are invaluable.

5.) Having said that, you will find out who your true friends and loved ones really are. And sadly, that may not be who you thought.

6.) You have to advocate for your own care, even with your doctor.

7.) You might be finding new things that you can't do months after the concussion, especially if you were also dealing with physical injuries that kept you from activities for a while.

8.) You may react to medications very differently after a concussion, including things like anesthesia. Tell every doctor that you've had a concussion, even the dentist and the eye doctor.

9.) You may react to a LOT of things very differently after a concussion. You may react to slight stresses by bursting into tears or getting angry (surprising yourself and people around you ). You may react to weather changes, or heat and cold differently. You might not be able to deal with places with a lot of sensory stimulation, like clubs, or shopping malls, or even museums.

10.) You may have health affects that you wouldn't have connected to a head injury at first, such as endocrine/hormone issues. Everything is connected, and part of the endocrine system is in the brain, after all.

11.) A neuropsych eval may not pick up your types of PCS symptoms, especially if they are executive function issues. I knew I was having difficulties, but when I finally had the eval, the psychologist told me that I was mainly depressed. My IQ had gone from "very superior" to just "superior," so my problems weren't that bad. Luckily, though, after I told him that I could tell that the test wasn't picking up my problems, he sent me to a SLP, who gave me different tests that more clearly showed where my problems were. I also find that my SLP understands and has more insight into TBI/PCS symptoms and recovery than anyone else I've been to.

12.) It will change the way you look at everything.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Adenium (08-14-2016), Brenda1964 (01-17-2019), Concussed Scientist (03-21-2016), crfairley (05-02-2019), DianeB (10-14-2015), Headbanged (10-22-2015), lagoode87 (10-28-2015), Lara (10-12-2015), thorx89 (10-20-2015)