View Single Post
Old 10-13-2015, 09:44 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

I don't drink, but have the exact same experience with caffeine. A literal teaspoon drop of coffee makes me completely nuts, and it usually takes a day or two to recover. I guess our brains are just so sensitive to toxins or stimulants of any sort that even small amounts of this stuff can turn life upside down for awhile. Oddly enough, there are actually a couple of supplements that I've tried that have done the exact same thing to me, including 5 HTP and St. John's Wort. Both make me feel like it's about time to check into the psycho ward. And like most people on here, before my accident I could drink up to 4 cups of coffee in the morning and more caffeine at night and feel totally fine.

Hang in there man. I'm in about the same boat as you are and was a Spring of 2015 injury. I find that actually getting out there and doing stuff in moderation is way better than being at home worrying about the symptoms and the injury. Unless I'm talking to my immediate family, most people's faces have an unreal almost one-dimensional Gustav Klimpt quality to them that is alternately terrifying, and if you let it be, rather funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermanator90 View Post
Hi all! I hit my head in April, it was a mild concussion. I felt better after about 10 days and drank very heavily. I was living in a new city by myself so it was the only social activity I thought I could seek out. I then felt very lost, foggy, and like my brain was torn apart for maybe 3 weeks while slowly recovering. After that I thought I had almost fully recovered and I drank another beer and felt miserable again. I repeated this cycle twice more. Each time after consuming alcohol (not bingeing, I drank maybe 1-2 beers) I felt like a 1000 times worse than I did when I initially hit my head. I felt better again after about 4 weeks after this last drink of booze, and again drank maybe half a corona in mid July 2015. That was the biggest mistake of my young life.

I constantly feel like I can't construct a single thought. It feels impossible to connect with anyone. I can't look anyone in the eye, not even close friends and family because I can't mentally picture my own mind. It's absolute hell. Its been about 6 months now since the initial hit, and almost two months since the last time I drank. My symptoms haven't gotten better. I know to a large extent I brought this upon myself, but really need some hope. It's so overwhelming everyday to just think about the recovery process, and how far away I feel from the person I used to be.

I've been to two neurologists. My MRI and EKG are all normal. Both think I am fine or will be fine with time. But, this just doesn't seem to get better. I am taking unpaid leave from work and staying at my mom's house. I thought I would stay here till I felt clearer, but its been a whole month with no improvement. To be more clear, the only big problem is that the moment I try to structure a thought or think to myself I begin feeling an impossible pressure in my head that doesn't allow me to access my thinking. Maybe this is depersonalization, I'm not sure.
seth8a is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote