View Single Post
Old 10-17-2015, 10:28 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Hi everybody.

Just wanted to update you all on what's been happening to Alan.

His foot ulcer returned (because he neglected to change orthotocs in his custom molded shoes). He has had this foot ulcer on and off for years. We even went almost a full year without it recurring but this year, well, lots of things were happening.

I was doing what I always do, wash with saline solution, add solicite or medi-honey, and then put gauze and wrap. I would do this once a day. I knew it wasn't healing and I was right. We went to podiatrist last Tuesday who said "He needs Iodosorb". It's extremely pricey but we had no choice.

Since last Tuesday I've been applying it twice a day and changing his bandage. The doctor sent him home with a Cam Walker. He doesn't put his foot on the floor.

Next Tuesday we go back to the podiatrist and from there we will go to Hanger Clinic (the people who made his most recent custom molded shoes and orthotics) and they will cast him for yet another Crow Boot. We've been down this road almost 8 or so years ago. The Crow Boot from that time cannot be used again. His foot has changed.

So hopefully his insurance (because he's diabetic) will cover this Crow Boot and hopefully he will heal. I don't know how using a Cam Walker or a Crow Boot will help this ulcer heal. It's off loading. I know this. But he's still walking on his foot so how on earth can a foot ulcer heal (unless a person is COMPLETELY off his foot) when wearing these things.

He has had boots up the kazoo for the past 9 or so years. The Crow Boot was the one that, with continuous wear), his foot ulcer healed. That's when he began to wear custom shoes with custom orthotics. But he has to remember to change the orthotics every 4 months.

So we cross our fingers and toes and hope that this thing heals. In a few months, he will then have to go for a biopsy of his prostate.

I'm doing it all now. I don't know how i do this. But there is no one else so I have to do it. I'm just happy that because it's 47 degrees outside here in Brooklyn, NY, I have a landlord who gives plenty of heat. Thank god for that.

We have to be grateful for the little things in life.

And I am.

Good Night. Will update you after we go to podiatrist next week.

Mel

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
glenntaj (10-18-2015), Hopeless (10-17-2015)