Thread: Topical Meds?
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2015, 07:37 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Help Topical Meds?

Hi,

Although I read this forum often, I rarely post in this forum.

I have had episodes of what doctors have diagnosed as "RSD/CRPS" in the past. I have had episodes in response to surgeries (an ulnar nerve surgery and a sural nerve biopsy) and also in response to an injured achilles tendon.
I am very afraid of ever needing any surgery in the future, as it becomes quite a mess, with a flare and severe pain for years thereafter.

(I also have advanced neuropathy in both feet.)

I have a recent injury to a foot. I am told this is a mid-foot sprain or stress fracture. We are waiting for swelling to calm down, as mid-foot injuries can be difficult to fully diagnose for a few weeks.

It looks/feels like I am having another flare, now in both feet again.

I did not have much help with my prior episodes. Lots of pain meds yet nobody treating me was well-versed in treating this. I did a lot of work on my own. I am very lucky I have done as well as I have done.

Feet and lower legs are swollen. Feet are red, one is purple and red. It feels like my feet and lower legs are sitting in a huge fire. I have severe spasms in my toes and feet. Sometimes, it feels like my feet/ankles are being crushed.
(I have not been able to ice my feet since the initial episodes, years ago. I have to keep them warm.)

As you know, the pain is excruciating. No pain med, no AED med touches this pain. One leg has superficial thrombosis from calf down to top of foot.
(We have checked twice for DVTs and find none.)

The examinations have been excruciating! In some cases, one person had to hold my leg so another could lightly touch my leg/foot. Everyone was shocked with the degree of pain I was in upon examination.
it's all spreading through my body. Now that I am in a flare, just the pressure of a blood pressure cuff sends me through the roof. That pain lingers for days, just from one BP reading. My upper limbs are not turning colors, although they are becoming increasingly painful.

I have been doing lots of Epsom salt soaks. Lots of magnesium lotion/spray. I have found topical Soma helpful. (I also take oral pain meds.)

I have been researching topical approaches. I am very intolerant of meds.

In the past, I have used a bupivicaine/ketoprofen topical.

As I am looking up current topicals used, I see some prescribe a topical mix with a high percentage of ketamine or a high percentage of DSMO.

Has anyone found specific topicals helpful?

Thanks so much for reading.
Any response is deeply appreciated.

DejaVu

Last edited by DejaVu; 10-18-2015 at 10:00 PM. Reason: typos
DejaVu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bluesfan (10-20-2015), indigo (10-22-2015), Littlepaw (10-18-2015)