View Single Post
Old 10-20-2015, 04:41 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Thank you Bryanna for your interest, appreciate your reply greatly.

The scan I've been suggested by the oral srgn is the Dual Source CT DENTAL scan, but there is little info about it. I managed to find that it is a 3D scan and this particular imaging place possibly uses a Siemens CT scanner with 2 tubes (sources). From what I could see on Siemens web site is that it is basically a spiral (helical) CT scan much like a normal head scan, but then they use special dental software to produce images. Or something like that.

I also found that the whole scan should only give you less than 0.5 mSv of (?)effective dose. But, there is a huge difference in how different organs and tissues handle radiation, and one of the biggest issues are the eye lenses. Apparently, they would get something like 35.7 mSv (for spiral scan) - which is obviously gigantic. I assume that the 35.7 mSv is the actual effective dose that has already been size-adjusted to the size of the lens.
As comparison, sequential scan only hits the eye with some 5 to 6 mSv (allegedly). But apparently they have to do the scan in sequential mode if a 3D reconstruction is required.

Is it possible to somehow shield the eyes? Or, in case of dual source scanners, is it not possible at all simply because the rays would need to literally go thru them in order to obtain all other images???
Siobhan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote