Old 10-21-2015, 09:04 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Winter View Post
I brought up amitriptyline to my neuro becuase i said gabapentins side effects are less than desirable. he told me that if side effects are an issue amitriptyline is not the way to go. Said that it has more than gabapentin does. Also said the tough thing with using an anti-depressant of any kind is simply this, if you aren't depressed or dealing with a chemical imbalance it is often counterintuitive. There are many other types of tricycylic anti depressants as well. Pamelor of another that is often prescribed and supposedly is a little better tolerated.
I am sorry to say, I think your doctor doesn't know about the new research of LOW DOSE tricyclics helping with nerve repair.
The doses used for amitriptyline are far below those for depression. The depression doses are 150mg to 300mg a day.
These drugs fell into disuse because of the fatality factor in suicide attempts and the elevated QT risks with other drugs. When the SSRIs came out, with much less fatality risk, the tricyclics were dropped and this safety factor was presented to general practitioners. I attended seminars about this back then. Of course with time, the agitation caused by SSRIs and the "prozac" suicides by violent means, and domestic shootings, took over and increased deaths that way.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lukesmom (10-21-2015)