Thread: Amitriptyline
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2015, 09:11 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
I am sorry to say, I think your doctor doesn't know about the new research of LOW DOSE tricyclics helping with nerve repair.
The doses used for amitriptyline are far below those for depression. The depression doses are 150mg to 300mg a day.
These drugs fell into disuse because of the fatality factor in suicide attempts and the elevated QT risks with other drugs. When the SSRIs came out, with much less fatality risk, the tricyclics were dropped and this safety factor was presented to general practitioners. I attended seminars about this back then. Of course with time, the agitation caused by SSRIs and the "prozac" suicides by violent means, and domestic shootings, took over and increased deaths that way.
He didn't rule it out Mrs. D. he just said he didn't want to "chase" after medicines right now. i think they like to keep Medicines in their back pocket so they'll have options long term if you build up a tolerance to certain ones over time. I also have had bad responses to Cymbalta (suicidal thoughts, gastritis) and Lexapro (could not get out of bed) - all very low dose treatments. So, I think they are wary of any antidepressant with me.

I know i saw a clinical study that showed actual nerve regeneration from Elavil (amitriptyline) online. Was wondering why doctors aren't pushing it though? There is also significant evidence of dental damage from the dry mouth issues which concerns me. i try to trust their experience and not be completely anti-doctor. I will bring it up to him again, he has been very open to treatment options as opposed to previous neuros who basically told me to just get lost and go to Mayo clinic.

• R-Lipoic Acid: 100mg - 300mg Daily
• Acetyl-L Carnitine: 1500mg Daily
• Vitamin B12: 1000 mcg Daily
• Magnesium 500mg Daily
• Grape Seed Extract 200mg Daily
• Benfotiamine 300mg daily

Patrick Winter is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote