View Single Post
Old 10-21-2015, 02:49 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart Coping Strategies Can Help

Hi Julie,

I am sorry you are having a tough time right now.

I am glad you feel you can ask any question here.

I haven't much to add to great responses by Purplefoot and LIT LOVE.

I will share my experiences with you. When I am in an acute flare of pain and inflammation, and am also taking more medication due to the flare, I start to have thinking and memory issues. I generally lose some sleep to discomfort. I tire more easily. My thinking slows down, I lose my concentration, I begin to forget things (and I start using a notebook and post-it types of notes to keep myself organized with necessary tasks).

I whole-heartedly agree with LIT LOVE concerning stress, pain, medications side-effects and more. Add in sleep disturbance/insomnia, potential anxiety and/or depression (both normal reactions to severe pain)... and more.

Purplefoot has mentioned developing a strategy to remind us of what we need to do and when. It's a great strategy, as it's too easy to lose track of time when feeling so overwhelmed with so many symptoms and side-effects.

Many are also dealing with a doctor(s) whom don't quite understand how to treat and/or dealing with medical systems and/or insurers with lots of red tape.

We are fortunate if we find support to help us through these very trying times.

I want to let you know my thinking/concentration/memory has returned to normal many times, once the acute flare has calmed down.

I have read some opinions regarding not paying too much attention to stages and also not fully buying into the fact that my experience will have to become all of what's described in the literature. Although our experiences are very similar, they aren't all exactly the same. I feel I might find it helpful to be aware of the possible effects upon my life, in the longer term; yet, I may well benefit in holding out for, remaining steadfast in hoping for, the least amount of long-term impact.

Whenever I have the energy to do so, I make sure my focus is not entirely on any discomfort or condition. I try to focus upon activities, people, places I enjoy-- the ones which elicit joy and/or laughter, allow me to admire beauty, to feel love for others and to feel loved and supported.

I feel this balance is critical to my well-being. The endorphins help me with discomfort, with feeling low, etc.

I am sorry you are experiencing so many challenges, Julie; however, since you are facing this for now, I am glad you are here and are freely asking questions.

DejaVu

DejaVu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
BioBased (10-21-2015), Littlepaw (10-21-2015), mama mac (10-21-2015), PurpleFoot721 (10-21-2015), St George 2013 (10-21-2015)