View Single Post
Old 10-22-2015, 12:51 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default flying wrecked me, period.

If you search the internet or ask on forums most people will tell you flying is OK after concussion as long as you are willing to do deal with the inconvenience (sounds, crowds) and that perhaps the jet lag could make a set back more likely. But no one warned that flying could actually cause harm on the medium/long term for someone with a concussion.

Well, the short story is that I am not convinced 95% that flying to europe and back was the KEY trigger of my PCS. It happened twice (read my story below for details).I spoke to neurologists, they are telling me that now they are finding that flying is actually hurting people although that was not in their textbook. Not just the jet lag, but the changes in pressure over a long period of time, makes the brain work harder (let's face it, we do not understand our brain).

While most people are OK with flying, according to stats and testimonials, I just wanted to put the word out there, that there is a risk that you would turn out like me.

After my initial minor concussion in july 2014 I had some dizziness which abated in 2 weeks. In August 2014 I was sprinting, running, lifting, drinking, NO PROBLEMS.

I flew toward end August to Europe and upon my return, I went for a run (same day) and god: not only that made me dizzy, I dealt with constant dizziness and headaches for THREE MONTHS after.

It took me until June of 2015 to feel good on almost everyday, and more importantly, to be able to focus on mathematics and solve problems, and drink... I was swimming with mostly no problems.

I fly again in August and this time upon my return I make sure that I sleep a lot, and rest. Well, I did not run, just walking around, when I came back, started making me dizzy. Few days after I did a pull up in the gym, and BOOM. I have been dealing with bad symptoms since then (2 months +).

So, in my case, is it possible that it was the run, or the walking that led to my symptoms? Absolutely not. Before flying any flare up, including from swimming fast in cold water for an hour, or hitting my head, would not last for more than 3 days.

I do not believe for a second that running + flight fatigue combination somehow led to PCS for 3 unbearable months. I just do not believe that.

Finally, Indeed, this is more likely to happen with long flights. So it is not just an air pressure thing, evidence from my case suggest it is the length of the flight. Perhaps jet lag, circadian rhythm, many possible explanations... but does it matter? Trust your guts on this, I wish I did. I am almost certain I would never have dealt with PCS.
bachissimo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote