View Single Post
Old 10-22-2015, 03:29 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegleg View Post
After talking myself out of having DBS for 15 years, I no longer can say the acronym stands for "Don't believe so."

Unless I get cold feet between now and Monday, we will drive the 5-hour drive to Vanderbilt in Nashville and begin the first of three surgical procedures as required by Vandy's DBS (deep brain stimulation) protocol on Tuesday morning at the crack of dawn.

Why have I procrastinated so long? Because I could. Why don't I wait for something less invasive? Because I can't. You see, the fall revealed worsening of my spinal stenosis, having already had two cervical fusion operations

It all started a few months ago when I fell. I don't fall everyday or several times a day like some of you do, but I "almost" fall everyday, and my body is becoming permanently twisted and distorted due to dyskinesia and dystonia. We may never know, but we assume that the dyskinesia and its resulting dystonia are due my 20-year regime of dopamine replacement therapy. Scientist are pretty sure that the culprit is Sinemet (carbidopa/levodopa), and these side effects can often be worse than Parkinson's itself.

So if you believe in divine intervention, put it in "start" position. If you prefer sending thoughts, good vibes, or karma - I will accept that, too.
My next surgery will be November 4, when they implant all of the DBS hardware.

OK EVERYBODY - circle up for a group hug!

Peg
Peggy,

Best of luck for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery. You couldn't have picked a better place to be treated.

My thoughts will be with you,

Gary
Tupelo3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
pegleg (10-22-2015), soccertese (10-23-2015)