View Single Post
Old 10-22-2015, 04:36 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Hockey hugs to you. I had to reply to this, even though I am really struggling today so I hope this makes sense, because I can so feel where you are at.

I don't remember if you have told me how old your daughter is, but I am going to share my own personal experience.

My marriage was under stress before my TBI, so as you can imagine it didn't help. For the first couple weeks it was okay, but then things spiralled quickly. I ended up leaving, for my kids and my husband. I was a huge burden and negative to them and because I was struggling so much I was having difficulty staying in control. My husband knew how to push my buttons and he did, regularly.

Leaving crushed my kids, they begged for me not to go, but I had to. I couldn't have them around the fighting and my insane outbursts. They were only 6 and 9, so still very young and it was a very hostile environment.

I stayed away for a week, it allowed me time to reflect, and my husband time to realize that while I was a burden it was still easier with me.

Depending on the age of your daughter, I would sit down and discuss this with them. See how they feel about you giving them a break for a little while. It doesn't mean it has to be permanent, maybe just a short break can be exactly what you all need.

I know now that after a couple years that my family would rather have this broken me, than no me at all. Now if I need the break I shut myself away for a day and it really helps.
KnockedOutMom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
"Starr" (10-23-2015), Bud (10-22-2015), Hockey (10-25-2015), Mark in Idaho (10-22-2015)