View Single Post
Old 10-23-2015, 12:33 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Lessons learned post MTBI PCS.

I wish I knew the following post-accident, post MTBI.
1. Doctors will tend to ignore invisible disabilities and try to tell you nothing is wrong. Fight for yourself. Go to Patient Relations if necessary. It took me one year with Kaiser before I got help with a Neuropharmacologist, physiatrist, etc.

2. Get a lawyer who handles disabilities. He/she can help you. I struggled for years losing jobs, getting fired, etc. and finally got on Disability. I was no longer able to focus, my short-term memory was bad, and my emotions were not well controlled. All caused big problems at work.

3. Learn all you can and hook up with a community such as this. Get into a support group. Don't let people tell you "you are fine".

4. DO NOT PLAN TOO MUCH OR PUT TOO MUCH ON YOUR SCHEDULE. GIVE YOURSELF PLENTY OF QUIET TIME. Being overwhelmed cognitively by driving, noises, demands, etc. aka "Flooding" is something I am currently dealing with.

5. Have more than one calendar.

6. See a Neuropsychologist and get a full battery of tests. Costs about $800 but well worth it. It pretty much assured me my Disability award.

7. Seek people who are supportive.

You can do this.
Grace F
"Thanks for this!" says:
AlmaVera (11-04-2015), Brenda1964 (01-17-2019), Concussed Scientist (02-07-2016), crfairley (05-02-2019)