View Single Post
Old 10-23-2015, 08:55 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Don't take some vitamins with blood patch

My daughter had a blood patch and although it worked, for a while, she had a horrible reaction from the needle going through the muscle and was in debilitating pain for a week after the blood patch was done. However, it worked for a while. She was so thrilled to be headache free after 2 years of excrutiating pain. Then two weeks later I was given the ok to get her back on her vitamins. I gave her her normal vitamins with dinner and by morning, her CSF leak headaches came back. I remembered that a year ago when we were in Canada, I was loading her up on vitamins because the weather was really bad and she was working and I wanted to support her immune system. I also remember that she had the MOST excruciating headaches ever during that time.

I put two and two together and looked up the supplements that she was taking. Eight of the supplements all thin the blood. I asked her doctor about this and they have no experience with nutrition or supplements but told me they have no association with blood thinners and a blood patch not working.

However, this is perfectly logical.....The way the blood patch works is the blood is injected into the epidural space to fill the dural leak and form a clot to prevent the leak from occurring and allow the dura to heal and close up. Supplements such as fish oil, garlic, turmeric, vitamin C and other potent antioxidants, have been proven to prevent blood clots from happening and there are beliefs that turmeric will actually dissolve a clot. My daughter was taking 8 supplements that prevent (and possibly dissolve clots). These were all approved by her physician to take.

So, she is doing a second blood patch next week. We have stopped all supplements that promote blood thinning and in fact she is eating a balanced diet, but making sure she has red meat, and foods high in vitamin K that actually support the clotting action. I will let you know how this works.

Pure logic says that if you are having a blood patch done, STOP ALL NSAIDS as far in advance of the blood patch as you can and DO NOT TAKE supplements that promote blood thinning such as fish oil, vitamin E, garlic, turmeric, reishi mushroom, etc. If you are unsure if what you are taking thinks blood, Google search "xxxxxx thins blood" and see if it comes up.

My gut says the blood patch success rate will improve drastically if patients abide by this , along with not doing any bending or twisting or anything that could cause impact for 6 weeks. 6 weeks is the average time it takes the humans body to make repairs from damage.
KWilliams is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote