View Single Post
Old 10-27-2015, 05:16 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace1 View Post
My dad (69) was diagnosed with early stages Parkinsons, yesterday.
He's had a tremor in his jaw and a few other issues for around 18 months, but as he also has fibromyalgia and was taking lyrica, we put his symptoms down to lyrica (side effects; slurred speech, slowness of movement, poor balance etc).

Anyway, several people have told me it's possible to live a good life with the meds out there and to be really positive. That's our best line of attack, and also making sure we don't surround ourselves with negative people. Nothing worse than other people who drag you down with their nonsense. Can anyone offer any advice? Cheery thoughts? Best things to do next?
Hi Grace,

So sorry to read about your dad. But you've come to the right place. There is a lot to learn about living in the land of Parkinsonia and it would be easiest to ask the very knowledgeable and kind people on this forum as questions arise.

In general you will find people vary both in symptoms and drug response. The same is true regarding the rate of progression. There are people who have had PD for 30y so try,once the shock/reality has passed/sunk in to be positive.
Once the correct drug dose is found your dad will most likely feel better than he has for years. Given his age, the treatments available and the supporting therapies (exercise,physio etc) I don't think the future is as bleak as it first appears.
The best advice I was given was by my Gp (md) who said "its important to manage your own meds" Basically only the Parki person can decide whether a particular drug regime is for them.

Im in my 50's,diagnosed 2009,just in the process of adjusting my meds,helping my daughter with her university application,planning a party and looking forward to Christmas. Still enjoying life and treating this pathetic little disease with the contempt it deserves.

Keep in touch

Nigel
Niggs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eds195 (10-27-2015), johnt (10-27-2015)