View Single Post
Old 10-27-2015, 10:16 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Siobhan,

Epinephrine is an ingredient in certain anesthetics that are used for oral surgery because it helps to control the bleeding during the procedure and because it makes the anesthetic medication last longer. Epinephrine is the same as adrenaline, both of which primarily affect the heart and heart vessels. A slow injection of an anesthetic containing epinephrine is not likely to cause an adverse or unpleasant physical reaction "from the epinephrine". A fast injection can cause a sudden surge to the heart which could result in a temporary fluctuation of the heartbeat and possibly elevate blood pressure. One important thing to know is that some people react negatively to the preservatives in commonly used anesthetics. Not all anesthetics contain preservatives and here is a list of them to discus with your oral surgeon....

http://www.netwellness.org/question.cfm/83761.htm

There are numerous types of cysts that can grow in the jaw bone. Is this cyst related to an infected (root canaled) tooth? Is it the result of a previous extraction? Is it an anomaly? Is is due to trauma?

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
Hi Bryanna

I read about potential issues with having epinephrine dental injections for some people. Namely, the potential to cause infarct of bone in some people due to its vasoconstricting mode of action.

So, I am wondering if there is a good (or better) alternative and if yes, should I dare to ask my surgeon about it???

I am not having a filling or extraction. I believe I would need to have a surgical debrediment in the near future of what potentially is a cyst or an abscess (still haven't done that CT!). What would a typical procedure entail?
What should I ask the surgeon?

I read in some other thread that they should do a culture of the incised specimen so they can better tailor the antibiotics - should I explicitly ask for that to be done? I am asking because the lady in the office told me that I would go home with an rx for antibiotics and pain killers. How would they know which antibiotics to give me when they sill haven't even sent the sample for analysis?

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote