View Single Post
Old 10-27-2015, 03:26 PM
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Default Neuro changed from possible focal seizures to "probable"?

I was referred to a Neurologist for mysterious spasms/jerks in my right jaw and on my first appointment she said it was probably just anxiety but might be focal seizures, and put me on Depakote 500 mg. My next appointment, I reported that the drug had no effect, still getting several contractions per hour. She then changed my DX to "probable" seizures for no reason and wanted to increase my dose. I refused. I go for an EEG and MRI soon. They say she is too quick to leap to conclusions before doing tests and is just wanting to put me on something.

I am getting a bit suspicious about this neuro for several reasons. A few of my friends and family say she doesn't know what she's talking about, and I have not had any other symptoms. Everything I can find about myoclonic seizures just doesn't fit the bill - they're supposed to start earlier (my Sx started at age 28), be bilateral (mine are only on the right), occur more in the morning (mine are even all day and night), etc. I am so confused and one friend says I need a second opinion even if I have to pay OOP for the whole thing! What's worse is she told me even if my (48 hour ambulatory!) EEG comes back normal , she wants me taking more Depakote!! Does this sound suspect to you folks here?
ncole1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote