View Single Post
Old 10-27-2015, 04:23 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niggs View Post
Hi Grace,

So sorry to read about your dad. But you've come to the right place. There is a lot to learn about living in the land of Parkinsonia and it would be easiest to ask the very knowledgeable and kind people on this forum as questions arise.

In general you will find people vary both in symptoms and drug response. The same is true regarding the rate of progression. There are people who have had PD for 30y so try,once the shock/reality has passed/sunk in to be positive.
Once the correct drug dose is found your dad will most likely feel better than he has for years. Given his age, the treatments available and the supporting therapies (exercise,physio etc) I don't think the future is as bleak as it first appears.
The best advice I was given was by my Gp (md) who said "its important to manage your own meds" Basically only the Parki person can decide whether a particular drug regime is for them.

Im in my 50's,diagnosed 2009,just in the process of adjusting my meds,helping my daughter with her university application,planning a party and looking forward to Christmas. Still enjoying life and treating this pathetic little disease with the contempt it deserves.

Keep in touch

Nigel
Thank you so much!! Truth is, my dad has struggled with depression and other things for years so actually we want the meds to do exactly as you say - provide quality of life. He's being very positive and although we've all looked into it, have decided to stop googling now and just take things one day at a time. He's got a very lively dog and enjoys long daily walks and that will continue. Positive thinking really is so important. Not being unrealistic, but just making the best of what comes our way. Thank you for your kind response.
Grace1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote