View Single Post
Old 10-28-2015, 06:40 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhall748 View Post
I had an outpatient ketamine infusion about 2 years ago, and It worked! For two weeks...BUT it was the best 2 weeks of my life in over 8 years. after the 2 weeks we started the 3 to 4 hour booster and I only got two days of relief. Again we tried the booster the next month and it seemed to be just a couple of hours.I did not like the booster, as I had a "bad trip" so to speak. It was very scary. The week long infusion at home was great, but I needed a babysitter for me AND my kids for a week. It was hard on my husband, my kids, and my family/friends that stayed with me.I am ready to ask for another outpatient ketamine infusion, but I dont think they do them anymore. How long have the inpatient ketamine infusions been going on? Its not the coma infusion, is it?
The 7 day infusion in ICU is NOT a coma infusion, those are illegal in the US. They start you at a low dose 60-100mg/hour (depending on weight and tolerance to ketamine) and bump you up each hour until you get the "ketamine eyes" (where they dart back and forth). They give you enough Versed so you do not hallucinate and are still somewhat lucid during this time. (You can eat on your own). On the 6th day, they do a total block of the limb (for me it's my left leg) to where you cannot feel it at ALL. This shuts down the brain from communicating w/ the affected limb and helps to reset it. They have a family member or friend stay with you the entire time (so you don't freak out and not recognize anyone when you are "out of it"). If you need a booster, the doctor will not do one until 3 months after the hospitalization. If the booster does not work, then he will re-hospitalize you for another go round. From what I have been told, this rarely happens and most people go into remission from the first treatment. But, it all depends on how long you have had the disease and other health factors. (as with anything else and any other treatment).

I hope this helps.
LovesTerriers is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
PurpleFoot721 (10-29-2015)