View Single Post
Old 10-29-2015, 09:52 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Siobhan,

Like any profession, some are just better at certain things than others. However, without a multi dimensional view of the area, ANY dentist will be guessing at the size, location and depth of the cyst. He will also not have much of an idea about the sinus involvement until he starts to explore the area surgically. If you are comfortable with him relying solely on the limited information that the 2 dimensional (photo copy) panorex xray offers and understand that this could result in an incomplete removal of the cyst and uncertain sinus involvement, then skip the CT scan.

Because of my professional background, I am not automatically impressed by a dentist who teaches at a University for the simple reason that the teaching positions tend to be filled by someone who can teach textbook dentistry which does not necessarily mean their skill set is any better than anyone elses.

Regarding the comparison of an older dentist to a newer one..... there are numerous ways to look at that and most often a lay person would not be able to differentiate the practice format from one to the other. The older dentist has a lot more clinical experience and may practice old school dentistry which does not necessarily mean he is or is not well skilled. A younger dentist has less clinical experience and may or may not practice old school dentistry. It just depends on their individual education and how they are most comfortable working. It has also been my experience that most dentists socialize with their peers in both professional and private gatherings.

A cyst can be hard or soft, it can contain granulation tissue and/or pus, and it can also be deeply rooted and attached to other tissue. The cyst is not just free flowing in the bone.

I hope I have given you helpful information so that you are able to make an informed decision about the CT scan and the surgeon. Whatever you decide, I wish you all the best and I hope you will check back and let us know how you are doing.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
Thanks again Bryanna!

It was the first OS that sent me to the ENT. I did ask this new OS (the one who doesn't absolutely need the CT done) if I should see the ENT and he said "no need, once this is removed, everything will clear up including sinuses". He said that the sinus is "possibly" involved and it didn't bother him at all. It may be relevant to mention that this guy also teaches at University, so I would expect him to be abreast with new developments, more so than the previous OS (older person) who maybe is not really exposed to discussions with his colleagues (?).

Re. the panorex, the new OS immediately pointed to me the area of his concern (actually the same area that I asked my dentist and the first OS about, but they dismissed it). So that threw me away immediately, looked like he knew what he was seeing and talking about. Could there be so much difference between professionals!?!

Would a residual infection cyst be more mobile and soft, as opposed to mine which SEEMS to be more firm and "attached" to one spot?? Or maybe it also depends on the "stage" the cyst/abscess is in (early / mature with pus)??? I am only taking a stab here with my thinking.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote