View Single Post
Old 09-23-2006, 01:45 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Hospital and Meds - a comedy

This hospital visit was unplanned, so there was no build up of anxiety level about my meds. SInce I was having some kind of 'event', I came in thru ER, and things were not as rigid. It helped that my daughter had done some training there and knew some of the people. So as the long wait began on the table with some testing and waiting for a room i had my meds there with me.

When it came time to take one, my daughter had gone to work so I obediently asked the nurse for a sinemet which was on the counter. She said , "wait till we get upstairs and verify the med is what it says it is."
So I snuck one after she left.

Up in the room, there was the usual confusion about establishing a med schedule. They told me to put my meds away - that I had to take "their meds." BUt they didn't take them out of the room.

I stashed my sinemet in a number of places. i wasn't offered sinemet until about 8o p.m. but had taken care of it myself way earlier than that ..By then a new male nurse had come on duty and was puzzled about why I didn't want to eat the whole sinemet but just asked for half. i said it would keep me awake and confessed that i had to take some of my own earlier so he said ok just tell me what you take. I breathed a sigh of relief.

Next morning i had to go for a stress test. I was not supposed to take meds, but convinced her if they needed any movement or stillness from me i would have to at least take sinemet. SHe gave me one but there was a back up at the testing, and of course after a while one sinemet doesn't keep you going. The test lasted over 5 hrs.

So I told the nurse at the testing if they wanted me to lie still for the pictures I would need more med. At first she juist smiled and patted my knees. so I just let my body speak for itself and told her that wasn't gomg to go away until i got more med.

They called upstairs and my nurse said i wasn't due for another med yet. THen questions , more questions, confusion, and finally my nurse came down to the lab and kiddingly asked :"Are you causing trouble down here?"
More patronizing pats but no real listening as I tried to say that was my battery for operating. i didn't want to take the whole thing tho, trying to strike the right balance with the valium they had just given me because i had happened to remember that the doctor had written it in the orders

Another 30 min wait for meds to take effect. Then the test was finally completed in another hour.

From that time on, I just dosed myself around what they gave me. They looked the other way. But i was a bit peeved to be awakened at 6 am from a very sound sleep by a nurse who seemed to think it was time for a requip..........lord have mercy.

So the solution is....sneak your own in.......trust me.
lol, Paula

Last edited by paula_w; 09-23-2006 at 01:49 PM.
paula_w is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote