View Single Post
Old 11-01-2015, 07:27 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace1 View Post
Well, I've had a strange old day. I saw my dad for the first time since diagnosis earlier in the week and he seemed about the same; he's got some heart issues and a chronic pain condition so has always moved slowly, but I was watching him read something and all of a sudden the lower part of his face went into a big tremor/spasm. He didn't even seem to notice it, but then put his teeth together and it stopped. I've never seen anything like it and I noticed his hand was a bit shaky too. It seems that this has started since his diagnosis on Monday - which is so strange. He's not on meds yet but should be starting them this week.

I just had to keep reminding myself that drugs will help and that there ARE much worse things to get. My dad seems fine in himself - he was later trying to do some DIY, he was up and down the stairs with no problem - but the facial/jaw stuff was quite strange/frightening. I guess it's just a process of adjustment.
Hi Grace,

Stress is can be like kryptonite to someone with Parki's. I can yo-yo from fairly normal to statue in minutes. When my wife was diagnosed with oral cancer 2y ago I was'nt prepared mentally, I got up and froze,nearly falling flat on my face......I don't usually have a problem with freezing.
It is my belief that some forms of PD are caused by long term chronic stress.
Another thing is Parki symptoms are made worse when other health issues arise. I must warn you Grace getting the correct drug regime sometimes takes a while and the side effects can be unpleasant. Having said that they 'do' work so try be patient . Despite his health isssues your dad still gets out,does diy etc he sounds like a fighter and will no doubt cope with PD.
The love and concern your posts reveal tells me an amasing dad has an amasing daughter...what a team ! look out Mr Parkinson.

Nigel
Niggs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote