View Single Post
Old 11-01-2015, 10:49 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAT52 View Post
This description of your pain describes mine to a tee - only mine also affects my hands and face. For me I've found that all the tests have revealed not a lot apart from confirmation that I have a connective tissue disease. I hope my doctors are right to assume it's benign but it certainly doesn't feel this way to me. I haven't found anything that helps yet and I have tried food eliminations, suppliments, cutting out sulphates in toothpaste because I also have this in the front of my mouth and nose now.

The doctors are implying that it's psychosomatic but I don't believe this for one minute. I'm being told to accept that I will have it for life and therfore have to learn to live with it. This seems to me to be a counsel of despair - if I knew I'd have to live with it at this degree of severity forever more then I'd take all my sleeping pills and have done. And yes mine feels as if it's in my bones too - foul thing it is!

Sorry I'm not able to offer you advice or give you something more positive but I think that it needs to be investigated and treated at source and I personally won't rest until mine is.

Hi Mat52

Hope you're doing okay - settling into your new home on the mainland?

I have to agree with you about doctors implying chronic pain to be psychosomatic. This seems to be becoming a more prevalent opinion. I just about 'spat the dummy' a few days ago when I read this article in the Health News Headlines:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread228049.html

This psychiatrist appears to be so ignorant and dismissive of the severity of some types of chronic pain that he assumes they can all be alleviated without the use of medication. Then again he may just be trying to sell his yoga book!

In some ways the switch to "it's all in your head" attitude may be an over reaction to the over prescription of narcotics (in the US at least). Again doctors trying to minimize work and shift the cause back onto the patient (all while still collecting a hefty fee )

In regard to your face pain I heard something on the news today about studies being done using the hormone oxcytocin (in nasal spray form), to relieve some types of migraine headaches (on the trigeminal nerve). Found a link to the story:

http://practicalneurology.com/2013/0...-for-migraines

Apparently the company investigating this is planning on doing studies to treat TN as well (read bottom of article). Hope this might give you another option to discuss with your neurologist.
All the best - bluesfan
bluesfan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote