View Single Post
Old 11-02-2015, 09:28 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffman View Post
Hi,

I have always been very sensitive to medicine and had the worst night of my life last night on only my second night of taking Cymbalta (30) .....there only seems to be a handful of these drugs so what I would like to know is how many of you are sensitive to the med's and what did you do to overcome this issue.

In the past I have overcome 2 spinal fusion operations and several other surgeries so I'm no stranger to pain, however this SFN is much worse than anything I have ever encountered. I'm stuck in a very bad spot because without the med's how can I find a way to function?

The neuro doc told me the drugs are very well tolerated and acted as If I was an exception to the rule.

Cliffman
Hi Cliffman,
You are NOT the exception to the rule.
I am also very sensitive to medication, to a ridiculous extent.

I was on Neurontin for several yrs and it covered my neuropathy well but as I increased dosage, I found I was overly emotional and rather hard to live with.
( Even worse then my normal personality!)

Then my doc put me on Lyrica. He clearly stated not to drive or make any big decisions and to take it easy for 2-3 weeks until accommodated to the side effects. The side effects were feeling like I was walking on a boat in a storm and I felt dizzy and spacey. When I called the doc and said I wanted to stop, he said, please try to stick it out another week because you need help for your neuropathy and we don't have a lot of options left. I did ride out the side effects and they did go away. I have decent coverage for neuropathy and it has been like 7-8 yrs. My one caution is, I did get off Lyrica twice and it was a wicked withdrawal.....you have to go VERY slowly. I had minor seizures prior to taking Lyrica and when I withdrew, my seizures came back but it is my understanding that even if you never had seizures, you need to withdraw slowly or you may get them.

The good news is, Lyrica has helped my neuropathy which is in my right jaw, face, head and down my right arm. It is especially bad in my face and jaw and in the winter, it is very difficult to go out without being well covered. Just riding in a car with the window open can be painful anytime of the year.

There are alternatives if you think you can't make it through the Cymbalta.
Wishing you the best....I know trying to soften neuropathy is not easy but have patience and educate yourself and keep doing smart things like asking questions to the good folks on these forums. They have all supported me through some tough times. I am certain things will get better for you.
My best,
Diandra
Diandra is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (11-09-2015), KnowNothingJon (11-02-2015), Patrick Winter (11-02-2015), St George 2013 (11-02-2015), zkrp01 (11-02-2015)