View Single Post
Old 11-02-2015, 09:28 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Mark it definitely does sound somewhat similar. I'm following on the vitamin plan and hoping that creates a difference.

Wondering with some flat affect now do you feel capable of holding engaging conversations for the most part? Like if you were stuck in a room forced to talk to a stranger would you be able to talk and connect without being/feeling awkward, or losing their interest. Cuz I currently wouldn't, and I guess need to learn coping strategies to get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
I still struggle with mild flat affect. Back in '82, I recovered mostly. Not back to 100% but much better. I could relate to my wife. Be there in a supportive way for the birth of our second child. etc.

My injury in 2001 left me with a relapse of flat affect. I have had to learn to cognitively respond as if I am emotionally responding. The emotional response does not come naturally. It is like learning to be polite and courteous. Of all the aspects of emotional response, I am clueless to most but use those that function to almost exaggerate a response to the others. I have to choose to express gratitude based on cognitive observations. Same goes for empathy, etc.

I think some of it comes from a failure or struggle in the part of the brain that recognizes facial expressions.

Oddly enough, I can get weepy eyed in response to some situations but that appears to be an emotional lability issue/ PBA like symptom. (PseudoBulbarAffect) Very light triggers can cause an emotional response in some cases.

SSRI's and such can make some of these issues worse.

Back in '82, I received weekly B-12 shots plus the vitamin regimen.

It is a struggle to understand.

Did you get a consult with Dr. Bernstein ? Or the people at UPMC sports concussion program ?

Are you still in NYC ? Boston will be a trip to see the concussion clinic.....

My best to you.
hermanator90 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote