Thread: Sinus Issues
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2015, 02:21 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Sinus infections can be serious infections because the bacteria can readily spread beyond the sinus. Antibiotics or herbs or other medicinals may only mask the acute symptoms of the infection if there are underlying causes present that keep feeding the infection. Examples of an underlying cause concerning the teeth would be a retained root canaled tooth in the upper arch .... or residual infection in an extraction site.... or a periodontal abscess.

A dentist by the name of Dr James Hupp co authored a text book entitled "Contemporary Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery". In this book he mentions...

<< A periapical or periodontal infection of maxillary posterior teeth may erode superiorly through the floor of the maxillary sinus. He also mentions... <<Twenty percent of all maxillary sinus infections are caused by tooth infections, rather than any other cause.>>

Basically that means that a tooth or gum abscess concerning the upper teeth can penetrate through the bone and permeate the maxillary sinus. Clearly the intensity and often longevity of that type of infection may make it difficult to eradicate even after the cause of the infection is removed.

Everyone has their own thoughts and opinions on how to deal with a chronic infection. I personally would not use repetitive antibiotic therapy for any reason and I would not self treat a sinus infection without knowing the cause of the infection first. As long as the source or triggers of the infection are present, the bacteria will continue to thrive as they become resistant to the medications or other medicament's being used to mask the symptoms. Once the source of the infection is significantly reduced or eliminated, then standardized medicinal herbs like oregano oil, turmeric, olive leaf extract, and even grapefruit seed extract may be very useful in boosting the immune system while reducing the inflammation and harmful bacteria in the affected sinus.

As I said ....... to each his own

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote