View Single Post
Old 11-05-2015, 02:13 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Okay I'm gonna jump in here and cause a little trouble . I hope ya'll don't mind.

I can't argue that CRPS affects cognitive and limbic/emotional function BUT many things can contribute to cognitive symptoms we have. We are affected by medications, lack of restorative sleep, general fatigue and chronic pain in general. I don't want to think all of it is the result of changes to my nervous system.

I know that I myself am sometimes fuzzy and have to think harder than in the past. My mood is affected by my pain, as is my sleep. But to be honest I was a little scatterbrained and forgetful before this. I find I am deeply enriched by still doing the things I used to, even if less effectively and also by trying new things.

I am fighting CRPS brain by taking piano, something I might not have done otherwise. I've had ten lessons now and it is fun. I may have to practice more than the average person, I don't know, but it gets me off thinking about my foot pain. I also go to a once a week Italian class for 8 weeks each semester. Everyone there knows I am still getting treatments for my foot. No one minds when I blank out or miss a day. I go when I can, which is sometimes erratic. Last week I went to the play Seven Wives for Dracula with my son. Since it was at the high school, it was easy parking and seating. It was hilarious, the students did an amazing job and it was only five dollars.

It is so easy to get swallowed by this disease. I am learning that throwing a line out to multiple things helps me stay afloat.

Try new things, keep those hobbies, adjust things as you need to make them work! For painful days I just got some coloring books for grown-ups. We gotta keep those non-pain synapses firing!

Sending gentle hugs,

Shine Your Bright Light
Littlepaw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bluekrikit (11-06-2015), DejaVu (11-08-2015), megsmountain (11-07-2015), NurseKris (11-07-2015), PurpleFoot721 (11-05-2015), Russell (11-06-2015)