View Single Post
Old 11-07-2015, 10:35 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkrp01 View Post
If you don't want to get used to the new conditions, it could be that you are not ready yet. Physical as well as mental changes have their own timeline. Neuropathy is a great teacher of patience. If you survived a heart attack and you are still walking around you have at least two things to feel fortunate about. Acceptance in itself is an admission that you are going to be different. Try to believe that your symptoms are going to change over time and what you are experiencing right now may not be way you are going to end up. Trials and tribulations are good proving grounds to see if you are mostly pessimist or optimist. You are still early in this struggle, so don't beat yourself up. Patience will come slowly and slowly you will cope. Good Luck, Ken in Texas.
Sound advice. I understand the need to do the things you know are wrong. We all need to break the cycle of "trying to be perfect" every now and then. I think it's healthy. You have to make sure it's a 'holiday' and not an 'everyday' though. SFN will alert you fast to the realization that you are betraying your body's needs. In a way it can be a good alert system for your body. i know when I get intense flare ups that it means i have allowed myself to fall back into a habit that is a pain trigger. In my case it's wheat, sugar, starches, etc. SFN is a brutal thing to suffer thru because it is always there, there is no respite from it. I think it also forces you to give up some bad habits. I know my SFN doesn't hate me for eating an apple or having a nice bowl of grilled chicken and sliced carrots over spinach and romaine with a dash of grapeseed oil...wonder why????<sarc>

I actually find some of my most optimistic moments in doing intensive research on the options for treatment on the condition. Then i can try different supplemental therapies (some are certainly helpful). I also look to the words of scripture (not gonna preach at anyone on that though). I am self employed as a hobbyist, i can escape much of the pain by painting and doing artwork. I have a wife, kids and pet that also bring me much cathartic comfort. Watching them enjoy life makes me happy even if it frustrates me that i can't always enjoy it with them as much as i'd like to. The key thing in many ways is DISTRACTION. DO NOT focus on the pain. it WILL exasperate it. Its why meditation works for many. I don't believe in meditation - I go into intense prayer instead. Either way those techniques work.

Life is always about adjustments. It's never smooth sailing for anyone. Embrace what you are and rebel against self pity.

• R-Lipoic Acid: 100mg - 300mg Daily
• Acetyl-L Carnitine: 1500mg Daily
• Vitamin B12: 1000 mcg Daily
• Magnesium 500mg Daily
• Grape Seed Extract 200mg Daily
• Benfotiamine 300mg daily

Patrick Winter is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Cliffman (11-07-2015), mrsD (11-07-2015), zkrp01 (11-08-2015)