View Single Post
Old 11-08-2015, 02:48 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Teeth Hi Art!

Hi Art,

Oh, wow, yes... a bummer.

I apologize for my late response.

I agree with Jo*Mar and with getting at least a second opinion.

I have had this procedure done by a reputable hand surgeon.
I was "diagnosed" via symptoms, an EMG and by the exam done by the surgeon as well. I was told this was a sure thing -- that this was the exact spot which needed a nerve transposition and also told all would be well after surgery. Neither turned out to be true. My condition became much worse and continues to be an ongoing challenge, many years later.

While telling me they did identify the nerve impingement needing repair, the chart notes said otherwise. In other words, after the failure of the surgery, the chart notes said they had not located the correct nerve. I was never told this, however. I had discovered this after ordering notes from my chart.

Also, check on the current success/failure rates of this procedure.

This link gives some good information. Please note, an NCS is better at diagnosing this condition than is a NCV. Please also note, conservative treatment is conducted prior to surgery. This article also mentions success/failure rates, ulnar decompression vs. transposition, and more.

While I believe these procedures can turn out well, it's not always the case. Sometimes, the correct area of impingement isn't identified. Sometimes, the procedure creates complications. This is a serious procedure in which failure presents a problem. This procedure is often presented as a "sure thing." Please take some time to look into this as deeply as possible.

This is a very important decision for you.
I hope you will seek additional advice/opinions prior to authorizing a surgical procedure. Ultimately, surgery may be the answer. Just be sure they have the right location of nerve impingement and utilize the surgical procedure which had the potential for the best outcome (also mentioned in the link).

http://www.cubital-tunnel.com/blog/t...nnel-syndrome/

I hope you will look into this topic. I hope you will also get a second or third opinion.

Warmly,
DejaVu

DejaVu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Darlene (11-10-2015)