View Single Post
Old 11-08-2015, 05:55 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

No, dead cells will not show up on an MRI. A normal MRI can only see things about 2 or 3 millimeters in size. BUT, you are trying to define something that is not definable.

So, have you had prior concussions that you have recovered from ?

You need to let go of your old self. You are what you are today. If the old self returns, be glad. If it does not, holding on to the past will only cause anxiety. "They get stronger if I try to access the thinking that I feel is blocked off." If you can't access this old thinking function, please, let it go. It is not the end of the world. Believe me, I have lost prior thinking skills many times over my concussion life. But, I moved on and made a life with what I had. Yes, it is frustrating. It takes a period of mourning then we need to move forward.

If I try to force my mind to think as it used to be able to think, I only make things worse. I often will end up crashing cognitively. So, I have learned to pick my battles. I use aids, notes, calculators, and anything that helps fill in the thinking gaps.

Rehab experts say that letting go of the past functions and making the most of the usable functions allows the brain to become productive and develop new ways to get things done. Demanding that your brain think like it used to is like demanding a tired 3 year old child to behave and pay attention. The more you demand and push, the more screaming and misbehavior you will get from the 3 year old and your brain.

I've been reading about celebrities lately. Many had dreams and became highly accomplished in a discipline and were headed for greatness then they suffered a trauma/injury or other unchangeable event that caused them to look in a totally new direction. They used the same drive to become successful in the new direction.

Counting your setbacks suggests you are too tightly focusing on short term changes. As I said before, I don't think you have suffered setbacks as much as I think you have had some periods of good days. It is the roller coaster of mTBI/PCS. You have some good days then return to your more symptomatic condition then have some good day. The good days are not recovery.

When you can find the pattern of thoughts and behaviors that lead to those good days, you will be able to start building longer periods of good days. As the balance of good vs bad days starts to improve because you have adjusted thoughts, activities and behaviors, you will start to be able to have longer periods of good days. Good days feed off good days. But, just because one has a good day or even 5 good days does not mean one can return to pre-injury activities. That is a common mistake that feeds the roller coaster monster.

So, try to learn to relax and find some simple activities to keep your mind busy. It may take a month of staying busy before you start to see improvement. The brain can be very slow to recover.

My best to you.
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
seth8a (11-09-2015)