View Single Post
Old 11-08-2015, 07:02 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart Thanks, Littlepaw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepaw View Post
Yeah!,

This sounds like a lot of great news. I am so glad you got the new attending.

The diagnosis on your foot is fantastic. Yes, really. A midfoot sprain will heal well and not require some awful surgical intervention.

When you start PT, you might consider asking around and finding someone who does manual therapy. It is a special certification and they move and adjust your bones very gently. My first PT did this, I had heard about it from its use by the Laker's trainer Gary Vitti. I found it to be VERY helpful adjusting mechanical issues in my foot that arose from imbalance after surgery. The foot is so darn complicated. It's like a Jenga puzzle in there. It's nice having someone who knows where everything ought to be and how it ought to move in relation to each part.

Don't fret on the temporary need for enough meds to make you loopy. The important thing is keeping your pain down while you heal!

Sending hugs and healing love,
Thanks, Littlepaw!

I am so very fortunate to have seen this attending. I had no idea who I would see, which is the way they work things. I don't mean to belittle the resident. I found his responses disconcerting. He was very paternal and close-minded... in 2015? I feel a good doctor does not pretend to know answers and keeps an open mind. My last resident was incredibly bright, relaxed, hilarious, and -- was stolen away by Duke. Kudos to him. He clearly has a fantastic future in neurology.

I, too, am so very happy to avoid foot surgery. It's taken time for ortho to feel sure about a sprain vs a break. I am thrilled there isn't a break. I am also thrilled to be rid of the boot!

My feet are in rough shape, I will admit. The neurologist did not show much enthusiasm for PT or strength training in my feet. When I saw him testing my feet, I'd wondered how I was walking at all. He'd wondered the same.

I saw my ortho the next day and told my ortho I refuse to believe we cannot impact my feet for the better, at least until we try. He examined my feet and told me of how sorry he is about my feet. He'd determined the deficits were neurological and he was closing out his involvement in my case. I asked him if he'd stay on in order to prescribe PT/AT for both feet. He was clearly tearful and said he would keep my case going in order to see what could be done. He ordered the PT when nobody else had done so. He will oversee the PT more closely.

Thanks for the tip on "manual therapy." I will look into this.
One of my friends is a Sports Chiropractor and Athletic Trainer. She is also now teaching Sports Medicine at the local medical school PT program. She's an outstanding person, in every way. She is highly skilled and also well-connected. I am sure she will help me to find someone experienced in manual therapy.

Thanks, too, for the encouragement concerning meds and feeling loopy.
I've always had a difficult time sitting in one place for very long. I do relax well. I just get ultra bored after awhile. At times like this, our minds can do a number on us, taking us into despair. I am very appreciative of your recent upbeat thread, by the way.

DejaVu

DejaVu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
BioBased (11-08-2015), bluesfan (11-09-2015), EnglishDave (11-09-2015), Hopeless (11-14-2015), indigo (11-09-2015), Lara (11-09-2015), Littlepaw (11-08-2015), mama mac (11-13-2015), PurpleFoot721 (11-09-2015), St George 2013 (11-13-2015)